by DW Green — April 1, 2020Most people who have gone through difficult periods in their life come to later wear those experiences as badges of honor. “Those were the days,” they might say, even though they live in much better circumstances. “To be young and hungry again,” another might say wistfully. “It was the best thing that ever happened to me,” or “I wouldn’t change a thing about it.” As tough as those periods were, they were ultimately formative experiences. They made those people who they are. And it’s happening to us all right now, with COVID-19.There’s another benefit of so-called misfortune. Having experienced and survived it, we walk away with a better understanding of own capacity and inner strength. Passing a trial by fire is empowering because you know that in the future you can survive similar adversity. “What does not kill me makes me stronger,” Nietzsche said. Which is literary true today.If things look like they might take a bad turn or your luck might change, why worry? This might be one of those formative experiences you will be grateful for later.read more
by DW Green — March 25, 2020Eckhart Tolle is one of my favorite writers. He is a spiritual teacher. A German-born resident of Canada best known as the author of The Power of Now and A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose. In 2008, The New York Times called Tolle “the most popular spiritual author in the United States”. High praise!I read the following the other day, written by Eckhart Tolle. It seems most appropriate now, given our shared experience with COVID-19.“You will inevitably encounter adversity in life, whether it’s on a personal level or – as we’re experiencing now – on a collective level. If you haven’t gone deep enough, if you haven’t found anything beyond the conceptual thinking mind, then the adversity, whatever it may be (in this case we know what it is), will devastate you. And even if you do not fall ill or contract the virus, the fear will consume you, as it’s consuming millions of humans at the present time. If you would know who/what you are, you would realize that there is nothing to fear. Only if you don’t know yourself, fear arises. Become aware of yourself, not the conceptual self, not your personal history, but become aware of yourself as the conscious presence.Thinking does not h...read more
by DW Green — March 18, 2020Wondering about wonder.Imagine:
- There are 1 Billion Trillion Stars in the observable universe.
- There are 1 Billion stars in the observable Milky Way Galaxy.
- Our Sun, the center of our solar system, is One of those Billion stars in the Milky Way!
- Our beautiful, life supporting planet Earth, revolves around the Sun at 67,000 mph!
- Modern Human Beings have been evolving on the planet for about 200,000 years!
- The current world population is 7.8 billion
- The population of the United States is 331 million
- Just think of the countless number of brilliant, incredibly talented individuals who have collectively created the quality of life we all enjoy today.